”The Last Play at Shea” is a unique documentary concept intended to escape the traditional narrative and current trend of biographical rock documentaries. Through the prism of Billy Joel’s extraordinary career and blue collar perspective, “The Last Play at Shea” chronicles the waning days of Shea Stadium through a tapestry of performance, historical documentary and personal journey while at the same time providing audiences with a pop-culture snapshot of a seminal era in New York history.
The film weaves interviews with players and performers and exclusive concert footage—featuring guests like Tony Bennett, Garth Brooks, John Mayer and Roger Daltrey, among others. “The Last Play at Shea” world premiered at the 2010 Tribeca Film Festival and is directed by Paul Crowder and produced by Nigel Sinclair and Steve Cohen, in cooperation with Billy Joel’s Maritime Pictures.
On March 8th, Legacy Recordings released "Live At Shea Stadium: The Concert," a full-length concert CD and DVD of Billy Joel's historic shows at Shea Stadium. "Live At Shea Stadium: The Concert" features more than two hours of Billy and his band offering definitive, and often transcendent versions of hits, rarities, deep catalog, personal favorites and crowd-pleasing surprises.
'The Last Play At Shea' and 'Live At Shea Stadium: The Concert' News
- 'The Last Play At Shea' On Showtime - Watch New Video - November 7, 2011
- 'The Last Play At Shea' To Premiere On Showtime November 11th! - October 6, 2011
- New Billy Joel Q&A - What Is Your Favorite Mets Moment? - May 25, 2011
- 'The Last Play At Shea' 3-Day Online Exclusive At Mets.com And MLB.com! - April 13, 2011
- New Billy Joel Q&A - How Did You And Paul McCartney Get Together? - April 13, 2011
- Live at Shea Stadium Rockets to #1 on Billboard Top Music DVD/Video Chart - March 21, 2011
- New Billy Joel Q&A - How Do You Feel When You Watch 'The Last Play At Shea?' - March 16, 2011
- Billy Joel's 'Live At Shea Stadium: The Concert' In Stores Now! - March 8, 2011
- Rolling Stone Features Billy Joel Playing 'Summer Highland Falls' - March 8, 2011
- AOL Music Features 'We Didn't Start The Fire' From 'Live At Shea Stadium' - March 8, 2011
- Watch 'Miami 2017 (Seen The Lights Go Out On Broadway)' from 'Live At Shea Stadium: The Concert!' - March 7, 2011
- Updated TV Schedule For 'Live At Shea Stadium: The Concert' Airing On PBS - March 3, 2011
- New Billy Joel Q&A - How Did The Movie 'The Last Play At Shea' Get Started? - March 2, 2011
- Watch 'Only The Good Die Young' From 'Live At Shea Stadium: The Concert!' - March 1, 2011
- TV Schedule For 'Live At Shea Stadium: The Concert' Airing On PBS - February 18, 2011
- Watch New Billy Joel 'Live At Shea Stadium: The Concert' Trailer! - February 15, 2011
- 'The Last Play At Shea' Now Plays On DVD, Today, February 8th! - February 8, 2011
- Watch Video From 'The Last Play At Shea' Documentary Film Featuring Christie Brinkley - February 8, 2011
- Billy Joel 'Live At Shea Stadium' Photos! - January 31, 2011
- 'Billy Joel - Live At Shea Stadium' To Be Released March 8th, Broadcast Edition To Air On PBS In March - January 24, 2011
- 'The Last Play At Shea' Rated A Critics' Pick By The New York Times! - October 29, 2010
- 'The Last Play At Shea' Gets Top Rating At NY1 - October 28, 2010
- 'The Last Play At Shea' In The New York Times - October 27, 2010
- 'The Last Play At Shea' is a HOME RUN in its US theatrical opening! - October 26, 2010
- Listen To Billy Joel On The Mark And Brian Radio Show - October 21, 2010
- Piano Man Billy Joel Hits A Homer With Concert Film Doc 'Last Play at Shea' - October 21, 2010
- Billy Joel Featured In USA Today, Previews Upcoming Projects - October 20, 2010
- Billy Joel Interviewed By Howard Stern - October 20, 2010
- 'The Last Play At Shea' Premiere Official Press Release - October 19, 2010
- 'The Last Play At Shea' Official Movie Trailer - October 15, 2010
- 'The Last Play At Shea' In Theaters October 21st - October 4, 2010
- Billy Joel At Hamptons International Film Festival's SummerDocs Series - September 7, 2010
- The Citi Field Premiere of Billy Joel's "Last Play at Shea" By Dana Brand - August 23, 2010
- Billy Joel's "The Last Play At Shea" Premieres at Citi Field Saturday, August 21 - July 27, 2010
- Variety Reviews “The Last Play At Shea” - May 3, 2010
- First Review "The Last Play At Shea" - April 28, 2010
- ”Last Play at Shea” Public Screenings - April 28, 2010
- ”The Last Play At Shea” premieres at Tribeca - April 27, 2010
- Last Play At Shea: World Premiere - March 17, 2010
- Watch Exclusive Interview and Performance of Billy Joel on MLB.com! - July 7, 2008
- Billy’s ‘Last Play At Shea’ Concerts, Sold Out In 45 Minutes! - July 2, 2008
About Billy Joel
Having sold more than 100 million records in a career spanning over 40 years, Billy Joel ranks as one of the most popular recording artists and respected entertainers in the world.
Mr. Joel has had 33 Top 40 hits and 23 Grammy nominations since signing his first solo recording contract in 1972. He received the Recording Industry Association of America Diamond Award, presented for albums that have sold over 10 million copies, for his Greatest Hits Volume I and Volume II. His other musical ventures include “Movin’ Out,” a Broadway musical based on Mr. Joel’s music, choreographed and directed by Twyla Tharp, which garnered Mr. Joel his first Tony Award for Best Orchestrations.
Most recently, Mr. Joel became the final artist to perform at the legendary Shea Stadium. He performed to 110,000 people at the historic “The Last Play at Shea” concert on July 16 and 18, 2008. The shows sold out in a record-breaking 45 minutes. This marked the Bronx-born Long Island-raised show business legend as the only artist to perform at Yankee, Giants and Shea Stadium. In 2006, Mr. Joel broke the Madison Square Garden record for the longest sequence of sold-out shows by a single artist. On April 24, 2006, at the twelfth show of that same sold-out MSG run, Billy broke his own record and Madison Square Garden celebrated the event in true New York style, raising a banner emblazoned with “#12″ to the venue’s rafters. Mr. Joel became the first non-athlete ever to be honored with a “retired” number on the rafters of the Garden.
Mr. Joel received Grammy awards for Record of the Year and Song of the Year in 1978 for his song “Just the Way You Are,” Album of the Year in 1979 for “52nd Street,” and Best Male Pop Vocal Performance in 1979 for “52nd Street” and in 1980 for “Glass Houses.” In 1990 Mr. Joel was presented with a Grammy Legend Award. Inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1992, he was also presented with the Johnny Mercer Award in 2001. In 1999 he was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and in 2004 received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. His other awards include the ASCAP Founders Award, the BMI Career Achievement Award, the American Music Awards Award of Merit, and the James Smithson Bicentennial Medal.